Saturday, November 28, 2015

Women in the Church: Praying as Life Givers


Excerpt from Prayers of the Bible: Equipping Women to Call on God in Truth by Susan Hunt (pp. 24-24)

LIFE-GIVING PRAYER

In his church newsletter, Pastor Glen Knecht wrote about attending a church service in Ukraine after the fall of communism.

How mistaken the Communists were when they allowed the older women to continue worshipping together! It was they who were considered no threat to the new order, but it was they whose prayers and faithfulness over all those barren years held the church together and raised up a generation of men and young people to serve the Lord. Yes, the church we attended was crowded with these older women at the very front, for they had been the stalwart defenders and maintainers of Christ’s Gospel, but behind them and alongside them and in the balcony and outside the windows were the fruit of their faithfulness, men, women, young people, and children. We must never underestimate the place and power of our godly women. To them go the laurels in the Church in Ukraine. 3

Several years after I heard this I was in a church in Ukraine, speaking for a women’s conference. I told the story, and my translator looked at me in amazement. “My grandmother was like that,” she said. “I was a communist so she never spoke to me about Jesus but somehow I knew. Her home and her marriage were different. Now I am a Christian. I know I am an answer to her prayers.” We celebrated. We knew we had heard a life-giving story.
.................................................................................

Dear Older Women in the church: Your wisdom, your faith, your prayers, and your presence matters!
24 

“‘“The Lord bless you
    and keep you;
25 the Lord make his face shine on you
    and be gracious to you;
26 the Lord turn his face toward you
    and give you peace.”’ (Numbers 6:24-26)







Series on Women's Ministry in the Local Church ‪#‎fwiw‬

1. Women's Ministry in the Local Church: Intro & FAQ
2. Women's "Ministry"?
 

No comments: