Monday, November 16, 2015

More Blogging Chronicles

A few days ago, I contributed to a bit of the back and forth and back and forth over what might have happened to some of the mature women writers.

In my original "Blogging Chronicles", I left off with an observation of the shift that was occurring back around the 2009 timeframe, when The Jolly Blogger (David Wayne) and The Internet Monk (Michael Spencer) were both diagnosed with cancer. Concurrently, there was a significant rise in commercialized blog sites like Challies.com and The Gospel Coalition. The unity of the blogging community seemed to unravel, either fragmenting into special content interests or expanding into electronic bastions of the Christian media and publishing subculture.

I was honored to have Tim Challies reply to my post by mentioning that many of the women bloggers seemed to lead the way in migrating from blogs to newer social media modes, such as Facebook and Twitter. The trouble is, Facebook and Twitter serve very different purposes for most of us than our blogging ever did.

This was certainly true for me, as I found that Facebook greatly contributed to my ability to connect more personally with family members and friends. While Facebook started out as a great supplemental add-on to my already existing relationships, in 2009 it became a real lifeline for me. By regularly connecting me to friends, family, and church contacts, those interactions would help me through one of the toughest times of my life. My blogging tapered off, but I was dealing with many painful circumstances. My time shifted away from blogging and onto these other things.

It was during this painful time that I learned how vital my church family had become, as I was providentially and personally ministered to by the body of Christ. I dove into church life in my local church -- and my denomination as a whole. If I come across sometimes like a spokesperson for the PCA, it's because I've been a direct recipient of immeasurable grace because of our denomination's intentional focus on discipleship and care for the flock -- especially its women.

I believe the tide is shifting back toward more women blogging again, though. Facebook and Twitter serve specific and important purposes in terms of keeping us connected with one another. However, blogging serves something different, in some ways, something greater. The act of processing one's thoughts and working out various ideas by writing more than 140 characters at a shot is a growth opportunity. To do it in conjunction with other writers is a privilege.

Lately, I've had the privilege of interacting with some truly awesome women bloggers. These women are gifted, amazing writers and have been real encouragers to me personally. Women bloggers are on the comeback!

I've missed blogging regularly and would love to commit to it again. I'd love to migrate to Wordpress, as I'm not particularly fond of blogspot and dislike the template options available here. However, I don't want to lose all of my content here or take the time to recreate it over there.
Much to ponder. Guess I'll take it one day at time for now.

Here is a quote I'll leave with you:

"God became one of us, not to erase every shadow or to undo the difficulties of humanity, but to be with us in the midst of it, to transform our spectrum of darkness by bearing a truer depth of light, and to enlarge us with the joy of expectancy until the fullness of time when every hope has come to pass."
- Jill Caratinni for Slice of Infinity (December 2011)


Thank you for reading and God bless!

2 comments:

Kim Shay said...

I've thought quite a bit about your post. One of the reasons I believe women migrated to more social means like Twitter and Facebook is because it was easier to interact with others. Blogging and waiting for a comment to start the conversation was not always something women wanted to do. Especially when a woman was a new blogger, Facebook and Twitter made it easier to start conversations and introduce oneself to other bloggers. The feeling that one had to be "polished," or "professional," also likely inspired some women to prefer Facebook or Twitter. I'm glad to see women blogging again, too, but I do wish we had some available older women. I know there are many things which keep older women quiet, but I wish there were a few with more free time.

twiga92 said...

Deb, I just migrated to Wordpress and it was a lot easier than I thought. In Blogger there is an option to export the blog - and it downloads all your posts AND the comments with them!! Wordpress then allows you to import that and wa-la, your posts and comments are on a new blog. Now the other stuff - sidebars, pages, etc. doesn't transfer. But the bulk content of the posts and comments does. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was. So if you do want to transfer, it isn't too difficult.