Friday, January 30, 2015

John Owen on Galatians 6:14

"But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world is crucified to me, and I to the world (Gal. 6:14)

Owen's commentary:
"Set your affections on the cross of Christ. This is eminently effective in frustrating the whole work of indwelling sin. The apostle gloried and rejoiced in the cross of Christ. His heart was set on it. It crucified the world to him, making it a dead and undesirable thing. The baits and pleasures of sin are all things in the world, "the lusts of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, the pride of life." By these, sin entices and entangles our souls. If the heart is filled with the cross of Christ, it casts death and undesirability on them all, leaving no seeming beauty, pleasure, or comeliness in them. Again, Paul says, 'It crucifies me to the world and makes my heart, my affections, and my desires dead to all these things. It roots up corrupt lusts and affections, and leaves no desire to go and makes no provision for the flesh to fulfill its lusts." Labour, therefore, to fill your hearts with the cross of Christ."
- John Owen, Indwelling Sin in Believers (Banner of Truth Trust, 2010) pp. 99-100.

No comments: