Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Prince of Peace (by On Pens and Needles)

Cathy Congers over at the blog On Pens and Needles  has written a wonderful blog on the subject of heavenly peace - because she needed to hear it and -- I most certainly did too.

She describes two kinds of stress that she came across in a recent Time Magazine article:
1) Challenge stress, which occurs when you feel like you can cope with a situation and despite its high demands, you have the resources to handle it. This is what we might call good stress.

2) Threat stress, which occurs when you feel unable to handle a situation and may even move into a fear or panic response, i.e. bad stress.

“If we can’t make the distinction between a room full of wild tigers and a conference room full of mere people,” says Time’s Alice Park, "mortal terror can consume us... If worrying gets going too long, it actually overrides the ability to problem-solve, which is what the stress response was intended for."

Wow! Can I relate to that, or what? She is describing my own recent experience to the tee.
And she offers several carefully selected scripture references from both the Old and New Testaments. This one in particular struck me this morning:
Psalm 139:23 “Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.”

And she ends the post with the prayer from Numbers 6:24-26:
The Lord bless you And keep you; The Lord make His face shine upon you
and be gracious unto you; the Lord lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace.


Thank you Mrs. Congers! I needed this today.

No comments: