Thursday, July 14, 2011

Is Being Radical for Jesus Boring?

Stephen Altrogge (author of The Greener Grass Conspiracy and blogger at The Blazing Center) offers up a good word on what the Bible says about being radical Christians. Here's an excerpt:
"The book of Ephesians is a helpful example in this regard. In the first three chapters of the book, Paul details the incredible, brilliant, mind-blowing plan of salvation that God has devised and put into action through Jesus Christ. I mean, we’re talking serious stuff here: election, predestination, adoption, redemption, and the grand plan to unite all things in Jesus Christ. This is explosive, “set your heart on fire for Jesus” kind of stuff.

Then, in chapter 4, verse 1, he says: “I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called…” When I read that I think, “Alright, here it comes. The call to be radical and to live in a manner worthy of the gospel. Lay it on me Paul. Hit me in the face with it!”

And Paul does hit me right in the face. He tells me to walk, “…with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.” Hold on. What? That’s what it means to be radical? To bear with one another in love and maintain unity? That seems so, I don’t know, boring. Maybe if I read farther in the book I’ll get to the really radical stuff."
Read the whole post here>>>

No comments: