Saturday, May 14, 2011

This (what's going on?)

http://allthyngs.wordpress.com/ asked a question on my previous post (What's Going On) that I thought warranted a separate post. He started by saying that he remembered playing that song when he was in a band back in the day. He then asked me what I thought of the song today.

(Of course, that was prior to Blogger going down for two days and subsequently, my ISP service going down yesterday. In the Blogger reset, apparently his comment and question was lost.)

What do I think of the song What's Going On today?
First, although I still think the song has amazing musical quality and the vocalist can really belt it out, I also consider the song a near perfect expression of unbelief.

I don't say that at all to be unkind, but rather as an admission of my own tendencies toward unbelief. The lead singer and songwriter is incredibly honest, raw, open, and vulnerable. "Authentic" as some might put it.  Granted this particular artist is unsaved, but she really does an amazing job of capturing much of the underlying skepticism and disillusionment of people who grew up in my generation. I do think that God used music like this to prepare the soil of my soul just before I met Jesus Christ.

It's obvious listening to this song now that the trouble with the worldview that I held at that time (and that this band sings about) is that it is essentially man-centered! It magnifies so much of what is wrong with the culturally popular American Worldview.  The singer is praying for revolution because she is disillusioned by "still trying to get up the great big hill of hope" and because all she does is try, omg, does she "try in this institution." The best thing communicated in the song and video is the 'brotherhood of man' as she calls it, and then depicts her friends reaching down from the slide to pull her up.  (People outside the church sometimes get the fellowship thing better than we inside the church do, unfortunately. I wouldn't say that about my church at all, even though we all have opportunities to do better with this. Ah, yes. that is a a topic for another post, I suppose.)

The good news for me was that the true "revolution" is the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

In America, we need to understand that even a pagan unbeliever's life is often characterized by moralism and legalism.  So, is it any wonder that moralistic therapeutic diesm would be totally unattractive (and ineffective to bring about salvation!) to someone who's worldview is embodied in this song?

When, as a Christian, I find myself with the same type of feeling portrayed in this song, I find solace in the scripture passage, "Lord, I believe, help my unbelief."  I return to the true Gospel message of Jesus Christ to find out that -- it's not about me or what I've done or not done. Rather, the Gospel is ALL about our great Savior God and what He has done for us in sending His Son to live the perfect life so that through Faith in His sacrficial death for our sin, we will have true fellowship with God now and eternally. He has become our our true hope and destination.  That is very good news which is truly counter-cultural!

Then this is where the fellowship/brotherhood thing comes in. The Bible tells us that we are Christ's ambassadors, as if He is making His appeal thru us to the world. We are commissioned to take this revolutionary, counter-cultural message to the lost -- and -- we are 'called out" (ecclesia) from the world in order to build one another up -- with the Gospel of peace.  I need the body of Christ - the Church- for this. Because the world cannot give it; they don't have it. The world might have an understanding of some things by the light of nature, but the world's wisdom is not going to contain or comprehend Gospel Truth. I need the church for this, the fellowship of believers speaking Gospel Truth into my life.

And now that my church is ending this week and with my pastor resigning three weeks ago, I will be for a short time, a sheep without shepherd and a flock. Please pray that this intermittent time will pass quickly and will lead to God's best for all of those in our little fold. Thank you!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fret not, my friend!
Hold fast to God's promises. You will not be shepherdless! I'm praying that God will lead you to your new church soon!

Psalm 23:1 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
3 He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

allthyngs said...

Great thoughts!

What happened to your church?!

Deb said...

Hi! I joined this church a little over two years ago and didn't know all of the history at the time. But, the church was really only meant to be a transitional church for a period of time. My Pastor was called to serve for two years during the transitional period. He just received another call right at the end of these two years. So, God's timing was perfect.
Thanks,
Deb