Monday, July 19, 2010

Not alone

Whether discussing politics, religion, philosophy, or any other controversial topic, I typically find that my views are not in line with majority opinion. As a result, I commonly feel a bit alienated from the rest of humanity.

This morning, while preparing for my new role that starts next month, I was reading "The Elements of Style" for the first time. As a former English major, I was a bit startled at the realization of the number of writing errors I commonly make. Even more startling, however, was my disagreement with and offense at some of the advice given therein. As I researched the reviews and found nearly unanimous acclaim for the work, I did finally locate an excellent critique that encapsulates my sentiments at the Chronicles of Higher Education. Although I still feel a residual alienation from standing outside of the proverbial wisdom of the crowd, it is very helpful to read that I'm not the only one.

No comments: