Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Repentence Doesn't Come from Sheer Determination

"If all you do is tell yourself over and over again, 'Be more humble,' it will not work. That approach is ineffective because the reason we struggle with pride in the first place is because we are all wrapped up in ourselves. If our only remedial strategy is to look inward, we will just reinforce the problem.The only way to grow in humility is to take our eyes off ourselves and meditate on the beauty and glory of the Lord Jesus Christ." - Chris Brauns, Unpacking Forgiveness: Biblical answers for complex questions and deep wounds, pg. 82.

As a naturally introspective person, I find that this is a very good reminder.

I also think the truth of this applies to all sin. Battling _________(insert sin here) does not come from sheer determination. So many times, when I hear the word "Repent," I hear "get your act together," "just quit it," "pull yourself up by your own boot straps," etc... However, the Gospel tells me to turn away from myself and my sin - to stop looking at me and to stop relying on myself for anything. Then to turn to the Lord Jesus Christ, to fix my eyes upon Him, and to trust Him alone for my salvation. This is not a one time deal. It is a life-long struggle against my own will. Apparently, I have something like amnesia when it comes to this, because I still need to be reminded daily to stop looking into the world's mirror at self and to gaze upon the loveliness and righteousness of Christ and see Him working in me by way of His mirror, which is the Word of God. Amen

No comments: