Tuesday, February 2, 2010

"I" "Will Build" "My" "Church"

From today's Desiring God devotional:
I Will Build My Church by John Piper

Two awesome takeaways:
On “My”
“I will build my church.” God chose us in Christ before the foundation of the world (Ephesians 1:4). And not only us, but millions more scattered throughout the earth (John 11:52). And he has many people in this city (Acts 18:10). He bought them by his own blood (Acts 20:28). And he will make them a kingdom and priests to his God. And they shall reign on the earth (Revelation 5:9). They will be his church. They are not their own. They are bought with a price (1 Corinthians 6:19-20). They are his. He will gather them. And build his church.



And:
On "Church"
Mark this well: Jesus does not promise that he will build his school, or that he will build his co-op, or build his medical clinic, or build his university, or build his social service agency—as good as those are. He promises with absolute authority: I will build my church.



What a wise and powerful reminder!

No comments: