Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A Praying Life - Paul Miller

I've been pretty absent from the blogging scene for such a long time that I doubt I'll even have readers going forward. Nonetheless, given my present circumstances -- having endured painful betrayal by a Christian boss in the workplace that resulted in the loss of my job and transitioning to a new church over the past five months -- God has graciously provided a number of amazing gems that I am zealous to capture and share here.

The first "gem" that I plan to share in a series of posts relates to Paul Miller's wonderful book "A Praying Life." I've had the book for some time, but being unemployed has provided a great opportunity for doing some of the things that I have been putting off for too long, including reading this book. More on some of those other activities later.

Yesterday, I was returning home with my dad and step-mom from a family reunion in northeastern Pennsylvania. My father was listening to the 70's band Abba up front, and as each song began, he exclaimed, "Oh! This is a great song!" and proceeded to turn the volume higher. After about 8 or so songs, I could bearly hear myself think, even though I was trying to read "A Praying Life" in the back seat. I momentarily paused and prayed to God, "Lord, please give me patience and the ability to bear up under this music." Then I turned to the page to the next chapter which was titled, "Crying out to 'Abba.'" I read the first two or three paragraphs that talked about how "Abba" is such a powerful term for seeing God like little children as our daddy and how "Abba" is typically never translated from the Aramaic into Greek, English or other languages because of its uniqueness, etc.. Just then, my Dad turned down the music and asked me, "So, what are you reading back there anyway?" I had the opportunity to share with him that I was a reading a chapter about God, our Father, called "Abba" or "daddy" and explained the whole thing to him. I said to him, "Isn't that amazing?" He had no idea where the word Abba even came from andhad only ever heard of it to describe one of his favorite bands. He just thought that they made it up for themselves. God is so good. Isn't He amazing?

Well, I plan to do a series of short nuggets or "take-aways" from each of the chapters, mainly for my edification, but also, just in case anyone else stumbles onto this blog, maybe they'll also be encouraged.
dlw

No comments: