Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Great Gospel Links and Excerpts, Pt. 3

God Receives Me on the Footing of His Perfection by Horatius Bonar at Reformation Theology

Excerpt:


"To be entitled to use another's name when my own name is worthless, to be allowed to wear another's raiment because my own is torn and filthy, to appear before God in another's person––the person of the Beloved Son––this is the summit of all blessing. The sin-bearer and I have exchanged names, robes, and persons! I am now represented by him, my own personality having disappeared. He now appears in the presence of God for me (Hebrews 9:24). All that makes him precious and dear to the Father has been transferred to me. His excellency and glory are seen as if they were mine. I receive the love and the fellowship and the glory as if I had earned them all. So entirely one am I with the sin bearer that God treats me not merely as if I had not done the evil that I have done, but as if I had done all the good which I have not done, but which my substitute has done."

1 comment:

InAwe said...

Excellent! I think we often stop short and miss the second part of the atonement - that we have been imputed with the righteousness of Christ. God sees His righteous deeds because we are covered with Christ's blood. Thanks for posting this.