Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Are apologists party crashers?

Brett at STR has posted a very good, concise article on why we should crash Darwin's birthday party tomorrow. Also, Tim Challies has written a great review on a new book by STR's president called Tactics, which looks like a good read.

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of attending my niece's 20th birthday party. It is such a joy to see her faith, as she is a very recent convert and is really on fire for the Lord. She takes her 16 year old brother to church, but he is not really all that interested.

So last night, her birthday party took a strange twist. After a bit of celebrating, cake nibbling, and opening of presents, we double-teamed my nephew. On the surface, it might seem like a party-crusher to turn to apologetics at a family get together. However, the whole exchange was quite fruitful, I believe. He didn't run away and seemed quite encouraged overall.

Toward the end of the discussion, he mentioned how he felt that even if he did believe the spiritual things about God, he would have trouble getting past the contradiction between the bible and science (most young people accept as a bold faced fact the bible and science are not compatible). We were able to talk about that for a little while, but after two hours, I sensed we had all reached a bit of a saturation point.

So, in honor of my niece's birthday and my nephew's confusion, the Christians in my extended family are going to crash the dead man's birthday tomorrow with an discussion about creation and evolution. Now that's what I call fun!

No comments: