Monday, December 8, 2008

Infamy, reward, duty - GRACE


Yesterday was the 67th year since the day that will live in infamy for our country -- the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.

And it was the day when the Army held its official recognition of my retirement and four others who retired earlier this year. I was honored to receive the Meritorious Service Medal for 23 years of service to the military.

The superb irony is that if not for the grace of God, my life would also have also been one characterized mainlyof infamy. It is for me a wonderful juxtaposition to receive this recognition and honor on such a day as this. It truly reminds me of the amazing power of God to tranform individual lives, as well as communities and even national character.


In truth, I don't need this reward, because I know my ultimate reward is in heaven. I also know that seeing each of the many young people who I had the pleasure and honor to lead and serve grow with great courage and character is more of a reward than I would ever need in this life anyway. However, I will admit that I am very grateful for the recognition by my former organization. Thank you for letting me serve in this way. And thank you Lord for encouraging me and others with this awesome testimony to You.

No comments: