Wednesday, September 24, 2008

What is the Gospel?

From Greg Gilbert at The 9 Marks Blog
Part 1 Part 2 Part 3
I remember a few months ago at church, one of our church elders asked me, "What is the Gospel?" I began by answering the "Gospel of the Cross" - that Jesus had died on the cross to pay the penalty for our sin by suffering the full wrath of God, was buried and on the third day rose again, then ascended to heaven where He sits at the right hand of God making intercession for those who believe on Him and Him alone for their salvation - or something thereabouts.

Then he asked me, is that how you would share your faith with a non-believer? And I said probably not. How would you then, he wanted to know. So, I said there is more than one way to share our faith. The most common among our congregation would probably be the EE format - 2 questions and then the template format. However, I said that I was a firm believer that there is more than one dimension to the Gospel message and cited the New Creation as a part of the Gospel, stating that Christ's atonement is the foundation, but the Gospel message permeates our environment and surroundings, expanding beyond the point of salvation into cultural renewal.

We had a great discussion, but there were differing views on the topic. I find the links cited above extremely beneficial in expounding more fully what I believe about the Gospel message. What do you think?

No comments: