Sunday, September 21, 2008

Do not confer with flesh

James 1:5 "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. 6 But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 7 That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord; 8 he is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does."

My tendency is to ask someone I know, like and respect when I need to gain wisdom and insight into a situation or a decision that I need to make. I want someone to challenge my thinking, sometimes. Or I want someone to confirm my thinking, other times. And the Bible says there is safety in a multitude of counselors, right?

But the heart issue many times - when it comes to wisdom - is doublemindedness. Man cannot serve God and mammon. Man cannot serve God and anything or anyone else. That is idolatry and is rooted in unbelief. Ultimately, my problem, when I lack wisdom is doubt. My sin is unbelief - I do not believe rightly about God, who He is and what He has done (and is doing.)

That was just one of many insights from this week's study of James 1:1-8.
Here is another
Facing Trials>>>

No comments: