Friday, May 2, 2008

Food stuff, for what it's worth!

“Nothing would be more tedious than eating and drinking if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity.” -Voltaire

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly Plants." - Michael Pollan, "In Defense of Food," page 1.

I belong to an accountability group at work where we have certain eating/weight goals and one of my constant challenges is to keep good, fresh food on hand - at home in the refrigerator or as snacks throughout the work day. There are soooo many GOOD food choices, that (IMO) it is not really necessary to have to eat the "not so good" choices (like high-fat, high-carb ice cream or french fries, etc.) I do love those "not so good" choices, but it's usually pretty easy to avoid them for the better "real" food choices, IF I have the fridge stocked. But if I'm relying on convenience, I'm in trouble. 'Cause there's not much of chance for me to NOT order the side of fries with my burger at the drive thru, even if there are apples or some better choice on the menu. My willpower just ain't that good. (pardon my slang). So, today I'm celebrating my stocked fridge with lots of heathy baby spinach for salads, strawberries, blueberries from Chile, yogurt, asparagus, and other great tasting, healthy things.

Also, I'm anxiously and hopefully watching my huge garden as all of the great fruits and veggies start to spring up!!!

And finally I'm thankful for my great friends who fixed a nice healthy dinner last night and invited me to join them for some incredible fellowship! I'm so blessed and grateful.

No comments: