Friday, April 25, 2008

What kind of worship do I recreate?

Another really excellent daily devotional from RZIM rocked me today. Over the past several years, I've somewhat trained myself to have a generally cynical and skeptical outlook on the world that is based in negativity. Afterall the world is full of sin, so I'm just "being realistic," right?

In some cases, I'm quickly convicted that my thoughts and words are rooted in some form of idolatry and selfishness. But also quite often, I'm adept at justifying my attitudes, opinions, and beliefs scripturally- and not just to myself but to others as well. In many ways, I'm highly manipulative and can be much better at trying to get people to see things my way than allowing the Holy Spirit and God's Word to teach me His ways.

In any case, the today's Slice devotional cut to the heart for me with regard to these things, so I wanted to share it:

Jill C. writes, "When I allow myself to cling more to negativity than to Christ, when I cherish words of death more than words of life, when I spend more time complaining about what is wrong with the church than putting energy into being the church, this is exactly the worship experience I recreate--and there are far too many voices willing to shout “amen” at the end of each of my sermons."

Isn't that awesome? Now take a look at what God's Word says:

“For the Son of God, Jesus Christ, whom we proclaimed among you, Silvanus
and Timothy and I, was not ‘Yes and No’; but in him it is always ‘Yes.’ For in
him every one of God’s promises is a ‘Yes.’ For this reason it is through him
that we say the ‘Amen,’ to the glory of God” (2 Corinthians 1:19-20)


Pretty convicting, huh? It is to me. Well, more of this to come, as our church starts to go thru the Jay Adams devotional booklet: "Four Weeks With God and Your Neighbor."

Our Pastor and his wife will also be blogging through the book, so we should all be "fitly framed and knit together through that which every joint supplieth, according to the working in due measure of each several part, maketh the increase of the body unto the building up of itself in love." (Eph. 4:16 ASV)

(I love reading that verse in that particular translation, "fitly framed" "knit together" "every joint supplieth" "working in due measure" "the building up of itself in love" Beautiful. Love it!!)

No comments: