Friday, February 22, 2008

Shakespeare and the case of the typing monkeys: Debunked

Reading The Case of the Typing Monkeys was enjoyable tonight for a number of reasons. First, ever since taking a senior seminar in post-modernism and the deconstruction of Shakespeare's England during my bachelor's studies, I've firmly believed that defending the writing of Shakespeare equated to arguing for the existance of God. And secondly, because I've got a couple of atheist friends who use this "monkeys typing" reference all of the time, and it really grates on me. I just have a hard time visualizing the scene; it seems soo weirrrrddd, ya know? One hundred monkeys typing and coming up with Shakespeare. Weird. And of course, these new findings definitely aid in discussions about I.D., of which I'm a huge proponent.

No comments: