Saturday, December 8, 2007

To guard against the sin of noble minds

So often prone to struggle with pride, I'm in constant need of reminding of God's amazing grace. Here are some quotes on pride along with Romans 12:3 - an excellent reminder for me today.


Os Guinness: "Pride is the first and worst sin, so grace is most amazing ...when it wins the Pharisee soul rather than the profiligate Mary Magdalene, when it wins the proud person made prouder still by calling rather than the sinner feeling unworthy to be addressed." Dorothy Sayers: "The devilish strategy of Pride is that it attacks us, not atour weakest points, but in our stronger. It is preeminently the sin of the noble mind."


Consider the Burial Ceremony of the Habsburg emperors:

Voice within the Abbott asks, "Who are you, who knocks?"

"I am Franz Josef, Emperor of Austria, King of Hungary," the herald replied.

Voice within the Abbott said again, "I don't know you. Tell me again who you are?"

The Herald replied, "I am Franz Josef, Emperor of Austria, King of Hungary, Bohemia, Galicia, Lodomeria, and Dalmatia. Grand Duke of Transylvania, Margrave of Moravia, Duke of Styria and Corinthia..."

"We still don't know you. Who are you?" the sepulchral voice reiterates.

Whereupon the herald kneelt down and said:
"I am Franz Josef, a poor sinner humbly begging for God's mercy."

Romans 12:3 "For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you."

No comments: