Saturday, December 15, 2007

Hope for People Born Tomorrow


Born on December 16:

Margaret Mead, 1901
Arthur C. Clarke, 1917
Lesley Stahl, 1941
William (the Refrigerator) Perry, 1962
Michael McCary, 1971
Hallee Hirsh, 1987

AND MOI!!!!!!!! - 1964

When one of my friends asked me tonight why do I like to make a big deal about my birthday, at first I answered, oh, I dunno. I guess I'm just really grateful to God that He would allow me to be born, even knowing full well that I would be such as wretched sinner, lost and alienated from Him for the first 30 years of my life. And then soooo incredibly prodigal even after He saved me. But then I thought some more and then remember why I've always been so interested in recognizing my birthday. --

Here's the reason:::::

My birth mother gave me up for adoption when she was 16, because she was raped. Then I was adopted when I was three months old.

Since it was prior to legalized abortion, this young mother did not have access to end my life.

So I still like to celebrate my birthday.

I'm grateful to God that I was allowed to live. And at the same time perplexed that He would allow me to live. And as a result, most of my life I have continued to wonder - why God? What do you want from me? And right now it's kind of weird because I think He just wanted me to live so that He could display His love. That's why I think recognizing my birthday is still kind of a big deal. Because God still loves me! He will always love me. From eternity past throughout all eternity!
Romans 8:38 "For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels
nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither
height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us
from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

3 comments:

Anne said...

Happy Birthday to you, then, a day early! I hope it's a wonderful one!

Renae said...

Oh, what a wonderful birthday story. Thank you for sharing it. I hope you have a wonderful day celebrating God's love for you!!

Deb said...

Thank you, Anne and Renae. And Merry Christmas to both of you!