Sunday, November 4, 2007

Blessings of Accountability in the Church

“The purposes of a man’s heart are deep waters, but a man of understanding draws them out.” Proverbs 20:5

“Better is open rebuke than hidden love.” Proverbs 27:5

“What is the friend, who will be a real blessing to my soul? Is it one, that will humour my fancies, and flatter my vanity? Is it enough, that he loves my person, and would spend his time and energies in my service? This comes far short of my requirement... The friend for my case is one, who will watch over me with open rebuke; but a reprover, when needful; not a flatterer. The genuineness of friendship without this mark is more than doubtful; its usefulness utterly paralyzed. That secret love, that dares not risk a faithful wound, and spares rebuke, rather than inflict pain, judged by God’s standard, is hatred. (Lev. 19:17) Far better the wound should be probed than covered. Rebuke, kindly, considerately, and prayerfully administered, cements friendship, rather than loosens its. The contrary instances only prove, that the union had never been based upon substantial principle.” Charles Bridges

“Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid.” Proverbs 12:1

No comments: