Thursday, September 6, 2007

I'd rather be married than...

I'd rather be happily married to a Godly Christian man than...
  • - taking a seminary class
  • - getting to go on vacation nearly whenever or where ever I want
    (ie, missions trip or similar trip)
  • - only needing to prepare enough dinner for one person every night
  • - being responsible for a lot people and stuff at work
  • - going to monergism.com, reformationtheology.com, and greenbaggins.wordpress.com for answers to all of my theological questions
  • - visiting neighbors or family almost anytime they are available
  • - watching my favorite show ("The Office") every week
  • - helping to teach Bible Study or Sunday School
  • - listening to my favorite music whenever I want
  • - watching my favorite DVD movies any time of the day
  • - reading like 150 books per year
  • - being able to come home at the end of the work day, drop whatever's in my hands, collapse on the couch, and visit my favorite blogs/websites/devotionals for some good spiritual refreshment and renewal....
So, even though I would rather be married than any of these things, the truth of the matter is that God has me single right now. And most (not all) of those things listed above are gifts from God, that He uses to redeem some of my "singleness" and especially to redeem those years of unbelief that the locusts had eaten.

I'd trade any of it in heartbeat for a loving, Godly Christian husband, but I'm seriously content that God has given me the opportunity to chose to be a good steward of the copious free time that comes with being an older single Christian woman. The greater promise is that one day, we will all be joined with our eternal Husband, who is our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Praise Him for our particular and present station in life! He has uniquely positioned us to serve Him and to be about His business where ever we are planted, right now - today!!

2 comments:

Renae said...

Oh, contentment. This is a lovely post.

I try to remember, when I feel stressed out about my husband and children, how grateful I am for their presence in my life. Even when I want to sit down and watch TV but can't because either the kids are being too noisy or the show or the ads are too inappropriate to have the TV on in front of them. Or I lament that I don't have "enough time" to spiritually refresh myself the way *I* want to be refreshed. etc.

I often tell myself that someday, they'll be grown and gone, the house will be silent much more of the time, and that a clean house probably won't compensate for my yearning for the "good ol' days" (aka, my present situation).

RE: contentment, I struggle with seeking my peace through Him, and not through my circumstances. I'm looking forward to the day that He makes all things right.

deb said...

Hi, Renae.. God bless you and your family! I'm glad that someone could be encouraged by this post, as I had hoped. I have a married friend who says she wishes she had the kind of time that I have to do stuff (like taking seminary classes) but she has a beautiful and amazing child, as well as a loving, caring, gentle, rock-solid husband. Her whole family is a blessing to the church.