Friday, August 31, 2007

His pleasure in us, our praise to Him

"One writer said that what we commonly think of as love is really the desire to be loved. I know that is true for me, and it has been true for years, that often when I want somebody to like me, I am really wanting them to say that I am redeemed, that I am not a loser, that I can stay in the boat, stay in the circus, that my act redeems me…”

“I would imagine then that the repentance we are called to is about choosing one audience over another. Jesus says many times in the gospel that He knows the heart of man, and the heart of man does not have the power to give glory. I think Jesus is saying, ‘Look, you guys are running around like monkeys trying to get people to clap, but people are fallen… Why not get your glory from God? Why not accept your feelings of redemption because of His pleasure in you, not the fickly and empty favor of man? And only then will you know who you are, and only then will you have true, uninhibited relationships with others.”
From Donald Miller in "Searching for God Knows What" (Ch 11, pg 175, 177) ht: Sets 'n Service

And Jer. 17:7 was a very pertinent and necessary reminder for me this week! (How many times did we repeat that for the kids in Super Summer Sunday School, and I'm still not getting it!? Now I really know I'm a slow learner!) :-/


7 "But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him.

8 He will be like a tree planted by the water
that sends out its roots by the stream.
It does not fear when heat comes;
its leaves are always green.
It has no worries in a year of drought
and never fails to bear fruit."


9 The heart is deceitful above all things
and beyond cure.
Who can understand it?


10 "I the LORD search the heart
and examine the mind
to reward a man according to his conduct,
according to what his deeds deserve."

.

14 Heal me, O LORD, and I will be healed;
save me and I will be saved,
for You are the one I praise.

No comments: