Monday, June 4, 2007

Pride: Why the Salt Complains of Rotten Meat

In the article Owning the Curse (CA,v16,i2), Jones and Wilson write:
"Our most immediate response is almost always in terms of 'Here is evil; let us
condemn it,' without a thought to, 'Here is evil; let us confess it.'"

The two authors are discussing homosexuality and fatherhood, reasoning that covenantal theology points to poor fatherhood as one of the root causes of the struggle. (Nancy Pearcy has also written an excellent chapter on this cultural effect in her book "Total Truth.")

However, Wilson and Jones don't stop with blaming the church and decades of lost fatherhood; they also show how homosexuality is linked to resentment in this way:
"At its root, homosexuality is a love of sameness rather than difference."

This statement is very counterculture for homosexual activists (like Rosie) who say they promote diversity, but who are incapable to sharing a table with women who hold different views.

And it is also very revelatory for me personally in several ways. Forming friendships within the church can be difficult, because I often avoid women with whom I don't have seem to have much in common. Also, in terms of relationships with family and friends outside the church, I'm also finding it difficult to love people who are not similar to me. Conviction!


When did we lose our saltiness?

A couple of weeks ago my friend S and I were having dinner together and sharing with each other about some of the amazing things that God has been doing in our lives. We were sharing scripture and stories of God's grace, when we started discussing doctrine. She and I were both really into it! This was great because it seems that I never get to talk about my views and here was someone who not only liked discussing it, but also agreed with me!!! For about 10 minutes I was enraptured with the exchange.

Well, just as the conversation turned back to our normal discussion, the waitress came by and said to us, "Here's your salt shaker back. I had to borrow it for a few minutes. Thanks!"

S chuckled and said, "That's funny. When did we lose our salt? Do you remember seeing the waitress come get it?" "Nope. I didn't even notice."

I thought about how I was so wrapped up in my denunciations and had another like-minded Christian to jump on that bandwagon with me. Neither one of us was remotely aware of the waitress or our surroundings. Our focus was not only inward and exclusive at that point, but also lacking in Gospel Grace. The pinnacle of pride.

When believers are inward and excusive without the Gospel as our focus - we become prideful and have lost our saltiness.


Wilson and Jones write: The effects of sin "are removed by our repentance, not denunciations of 'them.' "

"if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray
and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven
and will forgive their sin and will heal their land." 2 Chron 7:14

2 comments:

Bill Reichart said...

What is going to make us provocative to the world is that as followers of Christ we continue to have the posture of repenting repenters.
bill from provocativechurch

Deb said...

Hi, Bill! Thanks for visiting. I'm a fairly regular reader of your blog "Provactive Church." I really appreciate your comment. Deb