Tuesday, June 26, 2007

My Gospel Gap


Tomorrow night is the last night for our class called "How People Change," based on the book by Tim Lane and Paul Tripp. I was looking over the first few chapters again as I continue to work thru my "Project Areas." When we started the class, the first thing the text brought to our awareness is the Gospel Gap that most of us have in our lives. Way too true for me. I keep struggling with this and meditating on this and hopefully growing in this grace. It's like walking up a down escalator. Then I read this quote and it hit home again even more the second time around!! Very profound:

“I had an epiphany one Wednesday night in the middle of our small group
meeting. People were sharing prayer requests, but it was the same old grocery
list of situational, self-protective prayer requests masquerading as openness
and self-disclosure. I found myself thinking, ‘Why did we all feel the need to
clean up our prayer requests before giving them? Why were we so good at sharing
the difficult circumstances we faced, yet so afraid of talking about our
struggles in the midst of them? Did we really care more about what people
thought than we did about getting help? Did we really think that God would be
repulsed by our sins and weaknesses? I wondered who we thought we were fooling.
It was as if we had all agreed upon an unspoken set of rules, a conspiracy of
silence.I looked around the room. These were people I thought I knew well. I did
know what many of them were facing, yet I knew little of the wars going inside
of them.I brought my thoughts back to the discussion, determined to break the
silence. I didn’t think I was better than the others. I had been a willing part
of the conspiracy too, but I was determined to be so no longer. That night I
prayed that God would break down the walls of fear that kept us from sharing our
hearts with one another and bringing to God the things that were really going
on. I asked God to give us the hope, faith, and courage to put our struggles
into words that would reach his ears, the ultimate source of compassion,
forgiveness, wisdom and power. To my surprise others followed with similar
prayers, confessing their fears, doubts, and struggles. God began to change our
group that night.”

Praise God for His longsuffering and patient forebearance with a sinner like me who needs His constant reminder of Grace and Forgiveness.

2 comments:

Alyssa Faith said...

This is something probably every believer has experienced, yet how rarely somebody does something about it. Thanks for sharing that quote.

deb said...

Hey Alyssa! So true. Sometimes I don't even realize how much I'm just being 'like everyone else' and not like Christ. As another blogger recently noted, a quiet, courageous, loving spirit is truly Christlike. Peace to you in the Lord. Let's seek His face!!!