Friday, June 29, 2007

Am I "in" or "out"?

While listening to a wonderful in hymn in my car on the way to give a briefing, I was overcome with a great sense of sorrow. Realizing how completely undeserving of God's Grace I am is an amazing thing. The kind of deep sorrow that makes one cry tears of joy - they are wonderful gifts.

The unfortunate thing for me though, is that in my line of work, the last thing you want to happen is to show up to give a briefing to 150 "hooahs" who can tell by your swollen eyes and pale complexion that you've just recently been crying. Of course they just wouldn't understand this stuff.

People where I work, and probably just about everywhere, kind of see things two dimensionally. You're In or you're Out. If you're in, you have to be careful to keep up appearances. If you're out, you have to be careful not to become manipulative, backstabbing, or gossipers. The problem is though, IMHO, the perspective that IN is somehow the desired condition and OUT is pitiable, requiring charity from the IN crowd.

In truth, I believe the OUT crowd is where we're called to 1)-see ourselves and 2)-to live our lives out. This is a tough one for me. I feel like I've spent 90% of my life in OUT crowd, most of it of course, not knowing Christ. So, after having come to Christ, finding a home and acceptance in the community of the body of Christ has been one of the most desirable benefits of being a Christian in my mind. But now I'm finding that this sort of comfort is not my home "Under the Sun" or "In the Son."

These lyrics from The Supertones (I got to meet the lead singer Matt in Germany once before he was married-such a cool guy) just say it all:

The incarnation is God's Grace made evident and obvious - People matter. Life is sacred. Men, Women and Children are worth the greatest sacrifice, the supreme effort, ultimate gift.

So what becomes of those
small unwanted souls
who spend their lives breakin their backs?
those who dig the gold for the rich and powerful
who place their feet upon their necks?"

The Shepherd is the Lamb
Do you understand
That God became a man?
The Shepherd is the Lamb

Where can the junkies go
when high has laid them low?
Are they truly on their own?
It seems we've lost our way
Like sheep we have gone astray
Can anybody lead us home?

The Shepherd is the Lamb
Do you understand
That God became a man?
The Shepherd is the Lamb
The Shepherd is the Lamb
Do you understand
That God became a man?
The Shepherd is the Lamb

It is the amazing manifestation of His unshakeble love for the unlovely...

Who is the champion?
The friend of the suffering?
Of those who were never born?
The King with the crown of thorns
And I'll consecrate a verse
To the kingdom in reverse
Where the least are most
And the last will be the first

The Shepherd is the Lamb
Do you understand
That God became a man?
The Shepherd is the Lamb
The Shepherd is the Lamb
Do you understand
That God became a man?
The Shepherd is the Lamb


So the question is: Am I an insider or an outsider? It seems pretty obvious that God has called me in this life to be an outsider who has been in-grafted into Him in eternity. For now, an outcast. That's me.

5 comments:

chop said...

I liked the blog...
However what happened to the first verse,
"so what becomes of those
small unwanted souls
who spend their lives breakin their backs?
those who dig the gold
for the rich and powerful
who place their feet upon their necks?"

Very powerful song as well as words in the middle "it is the amazing manifestation of His unshakeble love for the unlovely..."

Deb said...

Hi Chop! thanks for stopping by the blog. I was about 50/50 on whether or not to put that verse in. I guess I just wanted to focus on the second part: how the Shepherd is the Lamb and God became a man. That's all it was really. I definitelylike all of the song. Take care and be blessed in Christ. Deb

Les said...

I googled the sermon at the beginning of this song to find out who it might be. You're the closest thing to a result I could find. Great song, great band.

Any clue who the speaker is at the beginning?

Deb said...

Hey Les!
I'm really not sure who is speaking at the beginning. I just tried to look in the CD case to see if there was a reference and didn't see one.

I might have something helpful for you though. The lead singer of the band who used that is Matt Morginsky. Here is his MySpace page:
http://www.myspace.com/mattmorginsky
You can probably write to him and find out. Hope that helps!

Michael Senior said...

Like Deb I too was looking for the quote as I couldn't remember which supertones song had the message at the start. Very powerful. Bless ya Deb.