Saturday, June 9, 2007

Growth

The crop is coming along pretty well! The heat has been pretty strong and at times the ground is really dry, but then we've also been blessed to get rain overnight or at times unpredicted by the weathermen. So check out what God's been growing in my backyard and compare now with what it looked like less than a month ago.

Above: The first beet crop. A second has been planted and is already popping thru the soil. My dad and I make canned pickled beets - his secret recipe. Everyone loves his picked beets. And I bet you didn't think people liked beets?? :)


Above: Tomato plants and beans. Only 16 tomato plants this year, down from 21 last year and 25 the year before. Who is going to eat all of these?? I could have settled for 4 bushes, but my dad and my brother wanted Mr. Stripy, pineapple, grape, low acid, roma and all sorts of novelty tomatoes. Like I said before, soon the harvest will be plentiful and the workers (me) very few! Did I tell you that I like planting better?


Above: A prize winning zucchini plant. Well, maybe not. But I always have a hard time picking these quick enough. It seems like the fruit gets too big too fast. Maybe this year I'll do better, since I cut down to one row, instead of THREE! Yikes!



The grean beens on the right are doing very well. This is the first crop; a second was planted last week and it's already popping thru. Fresh beans are awesome.


2 comments:

Heather_in_WI said...

Beautiful vegetable garden!

~Heather

Deb said...

Hi, Heather! I visited your blog and just watched the video "Fight the Dark Side of the Farm" LOL! That was excellent! May the farm be with you, too.