Thursday, April 19, 2007

Perfect timing, The Archaeological Bible


During lunch I stopped at the local Christian Book Store, which, by the way, typically has less to offer in the way of good scriptural reading materials than a secular Borders or Barnes and Noble Bookstore... but that is another topic.

I had a coupon for 25% off and thought I might get a good deal on something. So, I found this Archaeological Study Bible which ended up costing me almost nothing with the sale price and the coupon. I thought it looked fascinating.

An hour later, one of my co-workers (LL), who is not a Christian, but who knows that I have this blog came up and asked: "Debbie (he's the only one who ever calls me that?), I want to read the Bible, but I want something that will tell me about the history, the contexts, all of the times, and the wars that happened, not just a straight-up Bible with old language. I started reading the King James, but I just couldn't follow it. So what would you recommend?"

I opened my desk drawer and pulled out the bag with the Bible in it I had just bought and handed it to him. His jaw dropped. "Have you read it already?" he asked. "No, I just got it. But it's yours now - we can read it together if you want," I said. We both smiled for the rest of the day. How cool is that?

No comments: