Monday, April 16, 2007

The Good Shepherd

THE GOOD SHEPHERD

"As a shepherd looks after his scattered flock when he is with them, so will I look after my sheep. I will rescue them from all the places where they were scattered on a day of clouds and darkness." - Ezekiel 34:12


In April 2004, Shrek, a Merino sheep, was discovered roaming freely on New Zealand's South Island. The 10-year-old sheep had been on its own for more than six years before being finally rounded up. Merino sheep need to be regularly shorn, and the six years of evading shearers had left Shrek with a lot of extra wool. More than 60 pounds of wool was shorn from it during 20 minutes which was broadcast on national New Zealand television. The wool was enough to make 20 large men's suits. It was auctioned off over the Internet for the benefit of Children's medical charities.

Ranch owner John Perriam said that Shrek had managed to evade capture for six years by hiding in a cave.

"We didn't know he was there," he said, adding that when he was finally spotted they did not immediately recognize him as a sheep.

The Lord knows each of us and we never escape His eye. Today in prayer, give praise to the Lord that even when we were not walking with Him, He knew where we were and came to our rescue.

"Too many leaders act as if the sheep... their people... are there for thebenefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for thesheep." - Ken Blanchard

God's Word:
"My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch themout of my hand." - John 10:27-28


By Peter Kennedy, Devotional E-Mail (Sign up for his daily email)
DEVOTIONS IN EZEKIEL AND DANIEL
Devotional E-Mail began on April 1, 1996.

No comments: