Friday, December 29, 2006

Isaac Watts: Joy to the World

Our pastor shared during last Sunday morning's service the gospel in Christ, who is more Wonderful than wonderful. And within his sermon our pastor spoke of the great hymn writer, Isaac Watts, and his biography - here is a link to more about him. What really stuck out in my mind is how at the age of 7 - SEVEN! - Isaac Watts made an acrostic that diplayed not only his brilliance even at that young age, but also his theology - the foundational characteristic of his life:


"I" - I am a vile, polluted lump of earth
"S" - So I've continued ever since my birth
"A" - Although Jehovah, grace doth daily give me
"A" - As sure this monster, satan, will deceive me
"C" - Come therefore, Lord, from satan's claws relieve me.

"W" - Wash me in Thy blood, O Christ
"A" - And grace divine impart
"T" - Then search and try the corners of my heart
"T" - That I in all things may be fit to do
"S" - Service to Thee, and Thy praise too.

Theology renews the mind which enables the heart to sing "Joy to the world, the LORD is come" and to rejoice in His greatness.

No comments: